The veterans that participate in the Mount Dora Patriot Cruise and Salute (PCS) events come from all branches of the Armed Services of the United States.
We believe that every veteran who has served has sacrificed. So have their families. The Patriot Cruise & Salute event is our way to say “thank you” to these brave men and women. It is dedicated to providing a day of respite and expression of gratitude to our military veterans. Without them, we would not be enjoying the freedoms that we, too often, take for granted.
We have honored veterans who served from WWII to Afghanistan. Many are wounded, injured or ill. Not all medical conditions are service-connected. Long after initial injuries appear to have healed, or illness has become a part of life, these heroes and their families and caregivers deal with long-term effects and stresses. PCS is this community’s way of saying “we will never leave a fallen comrade” and we haven’t forgotten the sacrifices they made to protect our freedoms.
After a morning boat ride, the veterans and their guests are treated to a gourmet lunch, live entertainment and a patriotic program. Each is recognized individually and presented a Mount Dora PCS Challenge Coin. We have honored the following:
- November 11, 2012 — 10 veterans on 8 boats
- November 10, 2013 — 16 veterans on 15 boats
- November 9, 2014 — 16 veterans on 15 boats
- November 8, 2015 — 23 veterans on 15 boats
- November 6, 2016 — 28 veterans on 14 boats
- November 12, 2017 — 27 veterans on 14 boats
- November 11, 2018 — 34 veterans on 14 boats
- November 10, 2019 — 33 veterans on 14 boats
The number of veterans we can honor is primarily affected by the number of available public boat slips and space available in Gilbert Park for seating.